It was wonderful to meet so many of you at Back to School Night! Hopefully, the evening was helpful and answered all of your questions.
With autumn here, we are “falling” right into 2nd grade and working hard in all subjects. In Reading, the students are learning to know themselves as readers, and they are choosing their “just right” books. In writing, we are focusing on “The Six Traits of Good Writing.” Students will be creating their own descriptive writing pieces. In Math, we are learning about addition and subtraction strategies including using doubles, near doubles, and making/using 10 when solving problems. Communities are the focus for Social Studies, and in Science, the students are scientists exploring Plants and Insects.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions or concerns. I thank you for your continued help and support.
Welcome Back!! September 6, 2016
September 6, 2016
I hope you had a restful summer and are ready for the school year to begin! I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as your child’s second grade teacher.
September is such an exciting month! For teachers and children, it is a month of change and new beginnings – new surroundings, new friends, new experiences, new skills, and new challenges. I am looking forward to working with your child as well as creating a partnership with you to ensure a wonderful and productive school year! We will be engaging in many activities that will be both fun and instructional.
Below is information regarding specials, classroom policies and procedures:
Dismissal: Students will be dismissed at 3:00 (1:00 on half days) through our classroom out to the patio located on the side of the building.
- Report all absences to the office.
- Send in a note if your child is going home with another parent or student.
- If you want homework sent home that day, please call the office early so I can have it ready for you.
– Send in healthy snacks only.
No sugary treats and/or peanut items.
Take Home Folder
– Students will bring this folder home every day. Please check it daily for notes and/or homework.
– Will be sent home every week on Wednesday. It will include all tests. Please review with your children, sign, and return the folder with the test papers no later than Friday.
– A repetition and review of class work. It will be given every day except Friday.
- Every day – Math, Reading, Spelling/Word Study, and Grammar. Occasionally, Science, Social Studies and projects will be assigned.
- Incomplete or missing homework – a note will be sent home.
If your child has any difficulty completing any part of the homework, please send in a note so that I can help him/her with it. Also, please send in a note if the homework is unable to be completed.
- All homework is copied into planners every day and initialed by me.
I welcome your comments and suggestions. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me via a note, email (email@example.com or call 201 585-4630, Extension 2602-(Belmonte) and leave a message. Please note, I will not be able to respond to your messages until after 3:00. If you have a message that needs immediate attention, please contact the school secretary, and she will contact me.
Thank you and I look forward to meeting you at “Back to School” night which is on Thursday, September 15, 2016.
5 Composition Notebooks – No spiral notebooks (Labeled as Reader’s Workshop, Writer’s Workshop, Word Study/Spelling, Social Studies/Science, and Journal)
4 Folders (Labeled as Music, Take-Home Folder, Writing, Classwork)
Soft Flat Pencil Case
Crayons (Box no larger than set of 32)
Glue Sticks (3)
Pencils (12) - They will go home every Friday to be sharpened and returned on Monday.
Scotch Tape (1)
Red Pen (1)
Yellow Highlighter (1)
1 Pack of Post-its 3”x3”
Black Dry Erase Markers (2)
Black Permanent Maker (1 fine point & 1 thin point) - Sharpie
Boxes of Tissues (2)
Jumbo Book Sock – to cover the Social Studies textbook
Please have all supplies labeled with your child’s first and last name. We are looking forward to meeting you and your child in September!
The Second Grade Teachers
Special Dates to Remember
Back to School Night September 15, 2016